May 23, 2011

Sensitive?

People call me overly-sensitive. A sissy. A crybaby. Ok, well maybe some a couple of those names come from childhood memories, but my point is that I have always been painfully aware of what others think of me and how they treat me.

That being said, I'm an adult now. I have a full-time job, I'm working on my degree, I pay rent, I buy groceries... You'd think I would have a pretty tough skin by now, right?

Then why do I still take things so personally? Why am I so concerned with interpreting other people's reactions to my words or even presence? It's something I'm definately spending time in fixing.

Other people say my sensitivity is a gift. They call it being compassionate. I'm sympathetic. But do I actually use this "gift" for anyone other than myself?

Maybe I could use compassion to travel overseas and work in an orphanage (a lifelong dream). Maybe I could move other people in my hometown to give to mission work. Maybe I could make a difference in someone else's life!

But instead, I pout and cry because my feelings are hurt.

God, I don't want to be difficult. You made me with the ability to feel. Thank you! But would you use this gift in the way that you designed? I'm handing over the reigns, and I'm asking you to guide me and shape my sensitivity to form around your will for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment